Review: McCall's m2799, View D - Princess Corset

This is an everyday corset which is shapely yet comfortable. I wore it with a dirndl skirt to create an ultra-feminine look; alternatively, you can wear it separately to dress down. 

Corset Pattern: McCall's 2799, Skirt Pattern: Simplicity 1259 (modified); Fabric: Rayon (thrifted); Corset String: Rattail Cord; Lining: Shantung (thrifted); Bangle: Thrifted; Shoes: Kitty, Miz Mooz.

What to love about this pattern
I love the soft design of this corset. The lower edge is curved and looks elegant over a skirt (I'm not a big fan of the pointy corsets). The corset is only boned to the waist, so there's no problem with it bending out of shape or poking you while you sit. I made a matching dirndl skirt from a vintage pattern (Simplicity 1259) to make best use of the border print. I have modified the pattern, so I would suggest using Simplicity 8211/8176 if you want to get this look.

What I don't like about this pattern
This corset doesn't have much pull below the waist, so it's definitely not for those looking for waist trainers. I don't have a problem with this, because it lets me breathe and move easier. This pattern is quite generous with the lacing, so you may be able to size down if your figure has fitting issues, such as having a large bust and small waist.

What I could have done better
I didn't arrange the pattern pieces on the fabric very well. The flower motifs ended up on the side and bottom of the corset. Also, the waist of the corset tends to wrinkle no matter how much I iron it. This may be due to a tension or fabric problem. The pink fabric is slightly stretchy and may wrinkle when the corset is pulled tight. I recommend using a woven fabric with no stretch, such as satin or taffeta, to avoid this.

Difficulty
Surprisingly, this corset was pretty simple! You may need a little experience in sewing to make the boning, skinny straps, and loops; otherwise, this pattern is great for a first attempt at sewing corsets.

The Verdict
Patterns like this are why I love sewing. It was easy to follow and fun to see it come together. This corset looks fabulous with a matching skirt over the top. I'll be posting a tutorial on how to make this corset, so keep your eyes peeled.

·         Instructions clarity: 5/5. Very easy to follow for beginners.
·         Fit: 4/5. The fit could be a little better below the waist, but if you’re wearing a skirt over the top, then this isn’t an issue.
·         Design Elegance: 4.5/5. Simply designed but elegant. The pattern could have come with more shapes or necklines to increase reusability.
·         Final Product: 4.5/5. This isn't something I would wear on a regular basis, it's not easy to get in and out of. I'll be wearing it on days wear I want to dress up and feel like a princess.
·         Overall: 4.5/5.

Comments