Review: Simplicity 1067 View C – Easy Coat for Layering!

 When it comes to the dead of winter and you need layers to survive, I reach for this coat! 


Pattern: Simplicity 1067; Fabric: wool blend coating (Spotlight), Dress: Burda dress made by me (I can't remember the pattern number sorry!), dress fabric: shot taffeta, shoes: Scooter. 

What love about this pattern 
I love layering this coat up over my jerseys and dresses. Wrap coats are flattering on everyone, even when you're wearing heaps of layers! Just tie the belt to the back to accentuate your waist! I made this coat in a bright colour to help me pop out against the crowd of black and grey. My favourite part of this coat are the huge pockets! Two of the seams for the pocket are sewn into the side seams for the coat so they look super neat. The pockets are also interfaced which makes them very strong and stiff. This is a technique I might copy for future pockets! 



What I don't like about this pattern 
It would've been nice for this pattern to come with the option of adding lining to the coat.



Changes that I made 
Not lining this coat gave me the excuse to sew bias binding over all the raw edges. This looks fantastic on unlined coats and is worth the extra cost. 

What I could have done better 
I think this coat turned out great! It might need a little tailoring at the waist to help prevent wrinkling. 

Difficulty 
This is the easiest coat I've ever made! There's no lining, button holes or zippers, it's very quick and easy to sew. The sleeves are also very easy to attach because the armhole is big and not heavily curved.I made this over two days when I caught a cold. The pattern instructions are detailed and easy to follow, so I rate this coat as perfect for beginners! 

The Verdict 
Sewing coats are difficult for beginners, but this was a breeze to makeThere's a few variations for the collar and fastening so this pattern is very reusable. I recommend this pattern to everyone because you can make this coat over a weekend to fill up your winter wardrobe. 

  • Instruction Clarity5/5. Great and easy to follow instructions. 
  • Fit4/5. I think the shoulders could fit a little better. The belt helps shape the sides, but this definitely isn't a figure hugging coat. 
  • Design Elegance4/5. I would have liked a few more design options for this pattern since it creates a simple unlined coat. The only designs that interest me are the wrap coats with the collar variations. 
  • Final Product5/5. This coat turned out exactly like the picture on the pattern. 
  • Overall: 4.5/5.  

Comments