Pattern Review: McCall’s M7747 View A and B – Perfect Cold Shoulders

The tip of a woman’s shoulders are always beautiful to show off! I love how the designs of this pattern accentuates the shoulders and the waist.

Pattern: McCall’s M7747. View A: Fabric: Lightweight satin (Spotlight). View B: Fabric: Moody crepe (Spotlight), Shoes: Janie, Miz Mooz.

What I love about this pattern 

View A 
The best feature of these views is the ruffle sleeves. I adore how the ruffles go over arms and cross over the front and back. It's such an interesting design detail. I love to wear this at work, nothing wrong with a little cold shoulders in the office! 

There’s so many design options with this pattern! I made two of the four options, but I could see myself making the long-sleeved top and dress in a big print. 

View B 
This dress is the reason why I bought this pattern! This dress has many unique features which I haven’t seen together before, like the over-ruffle skirt, high-low hem and ruffled sleeves. To be honest, I don't wear high low dresses much because I don't have the long legs for it, but this dress looks great with heels.

Best of all, both of these views are comfy!

What I don't like about this pattern 

View A 
The only issue I have with both of these garments (more so with the top than the dress) is that they ride up on your stomach when you raise your arms. This isn’t ideal for a short top! I think this could be fixed my increasing the armhole, but then the ruffled sleeve might be floppy. Also, the looseness of the bodice of these dress combined with the gathered waist tends to flatten my chest. This won't be a dress for showing off your bust, but it's sexy all the same!

View B 
A word of warning, both of these views are not easy to get in and out of. If you’re not flexible then I would suggest making the straps longer at the neck and making the slit at the back bigger. 

Look how beautifully the ruffle crosses over at the back!
Changes that I made 

View A 
No changes required for the fit. I did make a technical change for sewing the facings. Instead of edge stitching the facings I pinned them wrong sides together, pushed the ruffle aside and topstitched the facing. This is fine because the ruffle covers the right side of the fabric.

View B 
I took in this dress slightly at the bust, but in retrospect, I probably didn’t need to do this because the bust is supposed to be loose fitting. In this respect, I would recommend sizing down if you're one of those ladies who need full bust adjustments for this pattern company.

What I could have done better 

View A 
I think this top turned out perfect! It looks exactly how I imagined it. 

View B 
Don’t make this pattern in crepe! This fabric is looks lovely but it frays very heavily, even with the narrow hem I sewed onto it. I think the quality of this fabric in particular was poor. Next time I might try burning the hems with a lighter instead of trying to sew them, but I'm a little anxious about burning the entire dress!

Difficulty 

View A 
I would classify this top as being for competent beginners. You’ll need to know how to make simple elastic waist casting. The elastised waist and loose fit of the bust means that this dress will have fewer fitting issues and is great for beginners, or those who want a break from tolies!

View B 
Sewing the gathered ruffle at the bottom of the dress is quite easy. Instead of using circle marking to adjust the gathers for the bottom ruffle, I found it easier to simply measure the bottom of the skirt. You can then divide this length by four (the number of sections in the ruffle) and gather each section to this width.


The Verdict 

View A 
This is my favourite top pattern to date. It's not as restrictive and formal as a fitted blouse, yet it's more proportional and designer than normal casual summer tops. I had alot of fun making this and I can see myself making it again.

  • Instruction Clarity5/5. At first glance I didn’t think the facing for the sleeves would work, but when I followed the instructions they turned out great! The facing for the sleeve don’t show at all. 
  • Fit: 5/5. It’s not a traditionally fitted top around the bust, but the elasticised waist gives it great proportion. 
  • Design Elegance: 5/5. The construction for this top is simple yet elegant.
  • Final Product: 4/5. This is a staple top in my wardrobe. The only minor issue I have is that the waist like to ride up my chest. Perhaps this can be fixed by using a thicker elastic?
  • Overall: 4.75/5. 

View B 
This isn’t my usual style, but it’s a lot of fun to wear! The skirt flows like water, so it's perfect for walking and dancing. Make this dress in a fabric that drapes well (a fluid and light fabric) to make the most of the ruffles.

  • Instruction Clarity: 4/5. The instructions for sewing the bottom ruffle could have been more detailed. Overall the instructions for both views are good.
  • Fit: 5/5. No fitting issues due to the looseness of the bust and you can tighten the elastic at the waist as much as you like.  
  • Design Elegance: 5/5. The design is unique yet comfy. I think this dress is sexy without showing too much skin.
  • Final Product: 4/5. Don’t make this dress out of crepe, even if it’s on the suggested fabrics! Use voile or a light satin instead. 
  • Overall: 4.5/5. I can see myself using this pattern again and again. It's really value for money!

Comments