Pattern Review: Simplicity 8394, View A & B – The Mermaid Set

This outfit is set for the curves. It shows off a lovey midriff and figure without looking trashy. This is an easy outfit to make and the instructions are very detailed.

Pattern: Simplicity 8394; Fabric: Poplin (Spotlight); Lining: Linen (thrifted), Shoes: Fordham, Miz Mooz, Bracelet: Pandora, Watch: Enchanted Garden, Olivia Burton.

What to love about this pattern
I love that this set shows off my waist yet hides any problem areas in the hips. It makes me feel confident and cute. When made in blue, this really looks like a mermaid outfit. The great thing about coordinate sets is that you can wear them separately too. The top works great with circle skirts and jeans, or just about anything that's fitted at the waist. The skirt can be worn with blouses and fitted tops. 

In terms of fabric I recommend using woven fabrics with a little bit of stretch, like sateen or stretch satin. This will help with the mobility of the skirt.


What I don't like about this pattern 
As expected for a tapered skirt, you won't be able to do the splits in it. This outfit is best worn out where you can walk leisurely. The shape of the skirt also requires you to sit straight, the crop top is comfy though. The button closure at the back is really cute, though you may want to switch to an open ended zipper if you're not so flexible.


Changes that I made 
I used a rolled hem stitch with my overlocker to make a quick and neat edge on the top's bow and the skirt's ruffle to make it extra frilly. I made some minor adjustments to the skirt to make it a better fit. I let out the side seam from the hips to the hem to give me more room. The poplin I used is translucent, so I lined the skirt completely. 


What I could have done better 
The skirt is little tight at the at the knees, which I should let out. The crop top could also be a little tighter around the midriff.

Difficulty 
This pattern is suitable for beginners, but you must be able to sew button holes and invisible zippers. The designer obviously put every effort into ensuring that this outfit is as easy to make as possible, including making a video tutorial on YouTube 

The Verdict
I love the casual mermaid look of this outfit, even if I can't run and jump freely in this skirt. I recommend this pattern for new sewers including teens; my youngest sister loves this pattern too. 

  • Instruction Clarity5/5. The instructions are detailed and very easy to follow.  
  • Fit4/5. The fit was quite good and need some small adjustments in the skirt, I didn't change anything for the top.
  • Design Elegance5/5. Simple but cute and easy. 
  • Final Product: 4/5. I love wearing this outfit in the weekend in the summer. By nature, this outfit isn't suitable for many occasions and can be uncomfortable.
  • Overall: 4.5/5. Great outfit to sew yourself!

Comments