Review: Simplicity 1539, View E – Forest Green Peplum Stretch Knit Top

Wouldn't a knit top be great for your next office event or job interview? I think so too! This is a challenging but rewarding stretch knit pattern which will broaden your sewing skills. I learnt a few things from making it. 

Pattern: Simplicity 1539, Fabric: Jersey (thrifted), Faux Leather Pants: Ambra; Watch: Enchanted Garden, Olivia Burton; Shoes: Nika, Miz Mooz. 

What to love about this pattern
This stretch knit top adds everyday elegance to my wardrobe, and looks smashing in a solid colour. I really enjoy wearing it to work and seeing the surprise on my coworkers' faces when I tell them I made it myself. Sewers on a budget will appreciate that this pattern comes with many design variations for the peplum, neckline, and decorative knotsYou can use this pattern to make many tops, a tunic, and even a dress. 


What I don't like about this pattern
Parts of the instructions were overly complicated. I ended up hand-sewing the tie to the neckline because of this reason. Also, there should have been more specific instructions for overlocking these projects. Many of the seams need to be sewn with a zig-zag stitch before overlocking to best align the pieces. 

Changes that I made
This pattern had a lot of fitting issues when I made it off the bat. The neckline was too wide and gaping, so I took it in a centimetre (3/8") or so at each side of the shoulder. The waist was several sizes too big and shapeless looking, so I took it in about 2.5 cm (1") at each side seamI also finished the edges of the hem, sleeves, and overlay with a rolled hem overlocking stitch. This turned out great because it made these edges even more frilly. 


What I could have done better 
The shoulder seam isn't very smooth and has a tuck which I couldn't get rid of. Luckily, this isn't very noticeable 

Difficulty 
You must know your way around stretch knit fabrics to sew this pattern, so I would consider it an average difficulty. I suggest sewing each of the seams in zig-zag stitch first. You'll find that the seams won't turn out smooth with the proper seam allowance on the first try. 

The Verdict 
Sewing this pattern with an overlocker has teething issues, but the simple elegance of the final product makes this pattern worth the effort. This is a pattern you'll be reaching for many times to fill your everyday wardrobe. 
  • Instruction Clarity4/5. The instructions were clear for most of the part if you are making this pattern with a zig-zag stitch, however they were not clear for how to make this with an overlocker in some sections. Further detail would make this knit top easier to make. 
  • Fit3/5. The fit for the waist was comically far off, but this is an easy fix. 
  • Design Elegance5/5. The design is classic and elegantI can wear this top to work and out on the weekends. 
  • Final Product5/5I loved how this knit top turned out. I can see myself sewing this pattern again in different colours of jersey fabric. 
  • Overall: 4.3/5.  

Comments