Review: Simplicity 1873, View C – Elegant Tea Party Dress

This classic pattern from simplicity creates an elegant dress which will take you from summer dates, tea parties and prom. Make this dress in a bold print and/or colour to stand out from the crowd.



Pattern: Simplicity 1873, Fabric: Delustered satin (Spotlight); Lining: Pongee (Fabric Vision).

What to love about this pattern


The shaping around the waist is perfect! I really love how the pleats on the skirt create a lovely billowing shape to contrast with the nipped waist. To achieve this effect, be sure to use a medium weight dress fabric with a good amount of body, such as satin, sateen, or taffeta. The simplicity of the dress makes it perfect for big prints, particularly huge flower prints. The decorative tabs are cute and kooky, and a make good excuse to add buttons to the outfit.

What I don't like about this pattern

There aren't many differences between the views of this pattern, for me this will probably be a one-time use. A few more options for the sleeves and neckline would make this pattern more value for money. I'm not a fan of the optional jacket pattern (view D); in my opinion, a jacket like this should be worn over a long evening dress, not a short, tailored dress.

Changes that I made

I took in the bust just a few centimeters at the armhole because it gaped slightly.  I also hand-sewed down the decorative tab because it stuck out too much. This might have been avoided by using bigger buttons and sewing them closer to the edge of the tabs or using a different fabric. I also made the hem of this dress longer, the same as view A and B, so that I can use this dress for more occasions.

What I could have done better

The invisible zipper can be slightly seen at the waistline of the back of the dress, which reflects that I didn’t sew close enough to the zipper teeth.


Difficulty

I would consider this pattern quite challenging for beginners, or an average difficulty. People new to sewing will find sewing the lining and invisible zipper difficult. Luckily, I'm in the process of making a video tutorial for this dress! If you know your way around a sewing machine and the basics of sewing, then I encourage you to watch my tutorial when I release it. I'll walk you through all the steps to make this dress!


The Verdict

Don't assume that this dress is just for young girls! This pattern makes a gorgeous and well-fitting dress which is flattering to most body shapes. The puffiness of the skirt will hide any problem areas around the hips and accentuate the waist. The scoop neckline creates an illusion of an hourglass shape and larger bust.
  • Instruction Clarity: 4.5/5. The instructions are detailed and are quite easy to follow as you expect from Simplicity; however, there could be more detail for how to sew the lining to the bust.
  • Fit: 4.5/5. I required a small adjustment in the bust. The waist and the back of this dress fits perfectly.
  • Design Elegance: 4.5/5. This dress is simply designed but a pleasure to make with a bold fabric. The pleating of the skirt is lovely.
  • Final Product: 5/5. This is a dress that I can wear everywhere, every summer.
  • Overall: 4.6/5. This is a classic pattern that belongs in everyone's stash.

Comments